Monday, March 23, 2015

Popeye Arms

Surgery Day minus 1

We came to the hospital early this morning so they could do all the pre-op.  It's about 17:20 now.  Here's just a few of the more noteworthy events for the day.
  • Had the following discussion with the social worker:
    • SW: "Who is here with Jacob?"
    • Heather:  "His mother and father."
    • SW:  "Is he your biological child or is he adopted"
    • Micah *with bewildered expression on his face*:  "Adopted."
    • SW:  "Do you have any paperwork to substantiate the adoption?"
    • The rest of this conversation spiraled further downhill....
  • Once we got to Jacob's room for the night the nurse is doing is routine and mentions that they VAT team will come at midnight to start his IV.  They need to make sure he's well hydrated for tomorrow.  Heather explains that Jacob will NOT be getting an IV installed at midnight.  The nurse says that when they want to do it.  Heather engages "momma-bear mode" and the rest of this conversation heads south.
  • The VAT team came around 5:00pm (Heather won).  They got him stuck well enough to draw some blood.  Then as the VAT guy was flushing the line he blew it out.  Now Jacob's right forearm is a balloon of saline.
  • This afternoon Heather's phone rings.  I answer, it's the financial folks from the hospital.  They set about to explain the costs for his procedure and how much our insurance will cover and how much is left for us to pay.  She offers to hand me over to "Sarah" who can collect my portion over the phone.  I declined.  The lady then explains that they need to secure funding before they can perform Jacob's procedure.  And THAT was the end of that conversation...
All that aside, we've seen everybody for the day and we're just playing with Jacob in his room.  Got a long day ahead tomorrow.
Playing in the hallway after supper.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear your Interactions with the staff havent been the best. I pray things improve dramatically. We have had similar experiences as well with Samuel. Please know that I will be praying for all of you tomorrow. I also pray for surgeon, surgical staff, and everyone involved. I pray for strength, healing and comfort for Jacob. God is with you. 🙏❤️

    ReplyDelete