Monday, December 15, 2014

Jade vs. Jesus

Very large jade dragon at the entrance to the jade market.  This particular dragon is the city-dragon for NanJing.

We went to a jade museum/market today after leaving the Civil Affairs office.  We wanted to get something small for our kids to serve as a remembrance of their Chinese heritage.  We learned quite a bit about jade and its history in China.  The people at the market explained how the Chinese believe that jade wards off evil spirits and it protects your heart both spiritually and physically.  They tried to sells us on the premise that it would do this for us as well.  It was heart-breaking to listen to.  On the ride back to the hotel I asked our guide if she believed that her jade protected her from evil spirits and she said "yes".  She went on to explain that she wears a jade bangle on her left wrist so the blood going by it will be purified and improve the health of her heart.  I was speechless but Heather was quick to explain how Christ lives in our hearts and purifies us.  Our guide just responded with "Yes, yes.  We have different cultures."

All I could think about was how our guide is either right or she's wrong about the impact of jade.  It doesn't matter how long the Chinese have believed it.  Just believing in something doesn't make it true.  Turnabout being fair play, Heather is also either right or wrong about the impact of Christ.  The fact that we believe in a living Christ doesn't make it true.

Truth, ultimate reality, is not culture-dependent.  What's true for me is true for the Chinese and it's true for you too.  The only question worth asking then is this; "Have I believed in the truth, or have I believed in a lie?"  Personally, I don't think very many people even want to ask that question - they already know the answer and they hate the answer.  It's easier to just believe a lie (Romans 1:25).

We did purchase something for our kids.  Some day I'll gladly explain to them its importance in Chinese history, art, and religion.  I will be even more glad to explain to them that Jesus Christ is the rock upon which they can build their life, but their jade is just jade.

No comments:

Post a Comment