Saturday, January 3, 2015



Reflections from Heather.  I don't blog much as this is really Micah's thing but thought I might reflect on some things....This trip was definitely different for me.  Different from the first.  I am an experienced China traveler now.  I knew what to expect in most ways and that was comforting in some ways.  But it was still exciting and I was filled with anticipation of getting our babies.  However, two babies at one time made it different as well, and when you add in three existing children, well, lets just say I am spent.  I was relaxed a bit though.  I didn't even make Lora wear swim goggles in the shower like I did last time to make sure she didn't get the bacteria filled water in her eyes.  Maybe I should have put some kind of muzzle on Scott though since it was impossible to keep the 1 year old from sucking on washcloths and drinking bath water.  Hence, we ended up with a stomach bug producing diarrhea (meaning lots of diaper blowouts), vomiting and fever!  I am thankful to be back in the US where you can actually use the tap water (except maybe in LaPlace, LA) for brushing teeth and washing dishes.  I was definitely prepared this time for the food.  However, I am happy to be home where generally there is an accepted practice of which particular parts of the animals are used in the dishes we eat.  I realize this isn't a guarantee, but there it is a high probability that while you are eating pork, just like they say, it is most likely the parts you don't want to eat that are in the dish.  Nevertheless, this time I let down my guard and ate fried squid on a stick with my husband on the street.  And cow's stomach at a restaurant.  Chewy and prickly....not my thing.  I even let my kids eat Chinese hotdogs...and if you think American hot dogs are questionable.  Well....I just didn't ask.  I have to admire though a culture that leaves nothing to waste.  And I am happy to return to the land of carseats.  While I never really worried about the safety of my children not in car seats while there, I do like that I can buckle them in and for three of them there is nothing they can do about it.  And I don't have to hold on to them while they are squirming.  That is the great thing about a five point harness.  I am also happy to be home to the land of steak and potatoes.  I love rice and noodles, but there just comes a point when you can't do it anymore.  I was just lucky to have found that the Starbucks now carries iced lemon tea, and while that isn't Southern sweet tea (which by the way I have not had yet and am happy pay lots of money for right now) it was better than nothing and actually had ice in it.  Anyway, just some thoughts I had and thought I might share.  Still might share some more, but I am tired now and all the kids are sleeping...for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment